Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the class sizes per academic level?Early Discoverers will have a maximum of 12 students (1:4 ratio)
Early Explorers will have a maximum of 15 (1:5 ratio)
Pre-K2 will have a maximum of 14 students (1:7 ratio)
Pre-K2.5A will have a maximum of 16 students (1:8 ratio)
Pre-K2.5B will have a maximum of 10 students
Pre-K3will have between 16-18 students per classroom
Pre-K4 will have 16-18 students per classroom
Kindergarten classes will have a maximum of 16 students per classroom
2. How can Parents and Family members be involved?Several ways a parent or family member can be involved is to join the students in participating in our community involvement projects. Please click HERE to see our current event schedule. We also welcome parents and family members for volunteer book readings in our Library. Family members are also encouraged to help with school events.
3. Do you have a Mentorship Program?Yes, Baylake Academy has established a “Kindergarten to Pre-K” mentorship program to have our older students mentor our younger students. This reinforces the importance of developing relationships and sharing knowledge. This type of support inspires social as well as personal development through school work, communication and/or activities.
4. Do you have a summer program?Yes, we have a Summer Program from June through August full of fun activities while maintaining an academic structure. Please visit SUMMER PROGRAM | Baylake Academy – Virginia Beach Pre-K School & Private Kindergarten for more information.
5. What does my child need for the first day of school?Your child’s first day and everyday with Baylake Academy will be an exciting experience. We have provided the below list of supplies per class level:
All items brought to school need to be labeled with the student’s first and last name. Personal toys need to remain at home unless requested by the teacher for show and tell.
Early Explorers and Pre-K2: 2 extra changes of season-appropriate clothing, disposable diapers/pull-ups, wipes, and a nap mat (all-in-one). The nap mat will be sent home every Friday for cleaning.
Pre-K3 and Pre-K4: 2 extra changes of season-appropriate clothing and a nap mat (all-in-one). The nap mat will be sent home every Friday for cleaning.
Kindergarten: 1 extra change of season-appropriate clothing.
All Students: We will be limiting the cross-use of supplies between students. We kindly ask that all students come prepared with the following:
- Full size backpack to hold all supplies
- Daily Lunch and water bottle
- Smock for art class
- Box of tissues for the class, facewipes/baby wipes, one pack of gallon Ziplock bags
- Labeled supply pouch to hold belongings, which will be provided by the school in your child’s welcome packet
- Crayons, Markers(washable), 1 pair of age-appropriate scissors, 2 glue sticks (Pre-K3, Pre-K4, & Kindergarten)
Early Discoverers Program:
- Children 6 weeks to 11 months of age will be provided an assigned crib
- Parents may bring in a sleep sack for infants younger than 11 months
- Parents are required to provide a nap mat for children 12 months and older
- Disposable diapers
- Diaper Cream (with medication form completed)
- Formula or breast milk premixed in bottles and brought to school in a cooler bag with a cold pack. On bottles please include name of infant, date prepared, and time to serve, written on a label. Bottles will be warmed to the appropriate temperature.
- Baby food needs to be ready to serve with utensils. Please provide a lunch box w/ice pack for children eating table food. All homemade food packed in containers and/or pouches are required to be labeled with child’s name, date, and contents. No glass containers or bottles are permitted.
- One silicone bib for mealtime and extra cloth bibs to keep in your child’s cubby.
- Two changes of weather appropriate clothes will be stored in your child’s cubby.
- Pacifiers, one without an attachment clip for naps, write clear name on the pacifier with permanent ink.
- Hat for sun and weather protection
- Lunch box w/ice pack for children eating table food.
- We follow safe sleep practices as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics.
6. With the Baylake Academy Program, does a kindergarten student transition easily to 1st grade?Absolutely! Our curriculum is, from day one, designed to mature the minds of our students. We perform periodic assessments to ensure graduation readiness.
8. Do you have a snack and lunch program?Baylake Academy believes in a healthy mind as well as body and values providing nutritious well-balanced snacks to our students. Our snack calendar is provided to our enrolled students on a monthly basis. Parents should provide a cold packed lunch.
9. Does Baylake Academy have a dress code?The dress code objective of Baylake Academy is for the students to demonstrate a clean and neat appearance.
We believe each student should strive to be their best inside and out.
• Boys- We require a collared shirt, a button-down shirt, a sweater, or a polo style shirt. Khaki pants or a
similar style is accepted along with the choice of appropriate shorts for warmer days.
• Girls- We require a blouse, collared shirt, sweater, shorts, pants, skirt, or dress of appropriate length.
Leggings may be worn only under skirts, dresses, or shirts that are mid-thigh or longer. Shorts or bloomers
must be under dresses for students.
• Boys and girls are required to wear closed toed shoes to meet safety standards. Students are not
permitted to wear costumes, pajamas, jeans, T-shirts, athletic clothing, sweatpants, cut off or frayed
clothing; additionally, clothes should be of appropriate length.
Dress Code Exception: Friday is school spirit day! Your child may wear their Baylake Academy T-shirt and